Home
Contacts
Location
Events
Services
Young People
LYCiG
Vicars Remarks
Photo Gallery
Church Pictures
History
Video Church History
Organisations
Organ Information
School Links
Saints and Sinners
Facebook
Diocesan Link

Vicars of Hessle
1086

Church and priest at “Hase” – Patron: The Prior and Convent of Guisborough

1202

RICHARD DUKET – described as “persona” (parson) of Hessle

1216

PHILIP DE CORNUBIENSIS – instituted by Archbishop Gray as “Perpetual Vicar

1251

NICHOLAS DE BRUNNE – 1297 Provost of Beverley

1274

JOHN ASLACHBY

1301

WILLIAM DE POKELINGTON

1322

RALPH DE HOTON

1324

JOHN DE HOKTON

1326

ROBERT DE MARTON – “Perpetual Vicar of the  Church of Hessle and Kingston-upon-Hull

1345

PETER DE ASLAKBY

1349 ?

PATRICK DE WATTON

1349

THO. DE BAYNBRIGGS

1349

ROBERT DE THORNTON

1362

JOHN DE HURTHEWORTH – Like most of his predecessors, had been Canon of Guisborough.  Afterwards, 1364, Prior of Guisborough

1364

RICHARD LESCEBURY – dispute between Guisborough and Watton Priories respecting Hessle tithes

1377

JOHN STAYNEGREVE

1391

RICHARD MORKE

1400

JOHN DE BARTON

1416

THOS. DE ESYNGWALD

1430

THOS. BYWELL

1433

THOS. DE BEWYK 

1444

THOS. DERLINGTON – Canon of Guisborough; while Vicar of Hessle became Sub-prior.  Resigned Hessle 1455 to become Prior.  In 1459 received Royal Pardon for some offence.

1455

JOHN HAREWOOD – in will described himself as “Vicar of Hessle-cum-Hull” and desired to be buried in Hessle Choir, if he died there, or in Holy Trinity, Hull, if he died there.

1467

WILL MERYNGTON

1468

JOHN YOLTON

1492

ROBT. DE HEDLAM

1505

JAMES COCKERELL – Abbott of Lilleshull (Lilleshall) Shropshire.  1519, Prior of Guisborough and resigned Hessle.  In 1523 Rector of Lythe, near Whitby.  At Dissolution of Monasteries serious charges against him, none proved.  Handed over revenues of Guisborough to Henry VIII; succeeded by Robert Pursglove, afterwards Bishop of Hull.  Implicated with Sir Francis Bigod of  Mulgrave Castle in Pilgrimage of Grace, and, though first pardoned, afterwards hanged at Tyburn.  (Percy brass in  Hessle Church belongs to his Vicariate)

1519

GEORGE DENT

1522

THOS. LOGAN – in will desired to be buried in “Quire of Essel”.

1538

WILLIAM PERES – last vicar presented to Hessle by Prior and Convent of Guisborough.  After this, and up to the present day, Vicars appointed by Crown as owners of Guisborough Estate.

1557

THOS. FUGAL

1561

MELCHIOR SMYTH

1591

THEOPHILUS SMYTH, M.A.

1615

RICHARD PERROT S.T.B. - (One of his printed sermons extant) Lived through Puritan times.  Name appears (1640) in list of “scandalous or malignant clergymen” published by “Long Parliament” which opposed Charles I.  Deprived of living (1641) and buried in same year in Holy Trinity, Hull.  Family afterwards rose to distinction in Hull and York, 1770.  Perrott Street, Hull, named after them.  Silver chalice belongs to his time.

1641

WILLIAM STYLES – Last “Vicar of Hessle-cum-Hull”.  Refused to give up mastership of Charterhouse in Hull.  During first siege of Hull  (1642) had to remove Charterhouse inmates and provided for them owing to “the distracc’ons of the tymes”. In second siege (1643) Charterhouse demolished for freedom of gunfire.  Eventually rebuilt the Charterhouse.  Resigned Hessle 1651.  Died in 1661, buried in Hessle Church.

1651

JOSEPH WILSON – “Preaching Minister”.  Founder of first Hessle School.

1661

RICHARD RAIKES – Holy Trinity, Hull, separated from Hessle

1670

THOMAS FOX

1689

TIMOTHY RAIKES – First extant Terrier signed by him 1720.  Probably connected with previous Vicar of same name.

1722

WILLIAM GANLON

1731

ROBERT LAMBERT, M.A. – Extant Terrier signed by him.

1757

THOMAS BOWMAN, M.A. - Four extant Terriers of his time.

1799

EDMUND GARWOOD, M.A. –Partly rebuilt Vicarage.  Introduced galleries into the Church.

1837

HENRY NEWMARCH, B.A. –Formerly Vicar of Winteringham.  1856, National schools opened.  1868-70, Church restored and enlarged.  Galleries removed

1883

C. R. HOLMES, M.A.

1884

ARTHUR KAYE, M.A. – Rural Dean.  Formerly Vicar of St. Paul’s, Middlesbrough.  1886, New Schools built.  1885-86, rebuilt Vicarage.  Afterwards Vicar of Selborne.

1890

(March)

1895

ARNOLD WORDSWORTH SAVORY, M.A. –Formerly Vicar of Worlaby, Lincolnshire.  Mission Chapel, Hull Road, built.  1897, New Boys’ School built.  Resigned.

1905

RICHARD FREDERICK LEFEVRE BLUNT, D.D., V.D. – Suffragan Bishop of  Hull, Canon Residentiary of York, fellow of King’s College,  London .  Formerly Vicar of Scarborough.  Archdeacon of East Riding, Chaplain in Ordinary to Queen Victoria and Rural Dean.  1906, Schools enlarged.  1907, Enlargement and Dedication of St. James’ Mission Chapel.  Died January 23rd, 1910. 

1910

JOHN AUGUSTINE KEMPTHORNE, D.D. –  Trinity College, Cambridge.  Suffragan Bishop of Hull.  Enlargement of Girls’ School.  Formerly Rector of Liverpool.  1913, Bishop of Lichfield.

1913

FRANCIS GURDON, D.D. – Trinity College, Cambridge.  Suffragan Bishop of Hull. Canon Residentiary of York.  Formerly Vicar of  Christchurch, Lancaster Gate, London.  1917, Church Institute bought.  Resigned Hessle, December 31st 1917.

1918 

ARTHUR CREYKE ENGLAND, M.A. – St. John’s College, Cambridge.  Canon of York.  Rural Dean of  Hull .  Formerly Vicar of St. Mary, Sculcoates.  1928, Rector of Kirby Misperton.

(Back Row) Clifford Dearing, Harold Dearing, Leslie Reaveley, 
William Goldsborough, Charles Digweed, Milton Clements,
Clifford Embley, Thomas Twidale.

(Centre Row) George Ellis (Verger), 
Clifford Smith (Vicar's Warden), Canon England (Vicar), 
William Coulson (People's Warden), Leslie Anderson.

(Front Row)  Alec Bailey, Harry Doughty, Charles Howlett.

1928

CHARLES HENRY LENTON, M.A. – Pembroke College, Oxford . Canon of  Lincoln .  Formerly 12 years Rector of Louth and Rural Dean of Louthesk West, Lincolnshire .  Inducted Hessle April 28th 1928.  Resigned Hessle January 8th 1944

1944

HENRY WOLFERSTAN BECK, A.K.C

1946

CHRISTIAN RICHARD JOHN DAY, O.B.E. (MIL) M.A.

1954

STANLEY PEART HUTTON, M.A.   

(Pictured centre with curates,  (left) Jeffrey Johnson and (right) Peter Haynes)

1963

DONALD GEORGE SNELGROVE, M.A. – Canon of York, Archdeacon of East Riding, Bishop of Hull.

1971

MICHAEL CREED MEREDITH, M.A.

1978

EDWIN BARNES, M.A.

1988

RICHARD ANDREW HUGH GREANEY, M.A.

1995

KENITH ANDREW DAVID, B.A. Canon of Lundi, Zimbabwe.

2006

The institution of the Rev. Tim Boyns, to All Saints' Church in Hessle, took place on 10-Feb-2006. 

Pictured left to right: Deputy Lord Lieutenant, 
Mrs R Blake-James, The Revd. Tim Boyns and the Bishop of Hull the Right Revd. Richard Frith.

2006

TIMOTHY MARTIN HARLEY BOYNS, BA, B.C.S
2011 - Rural Dean Hull Deanery

 

Information printed on a damaged sheet giving details of incumbents of Hessle until 1944 –
20th Century details had been added to the original, which had sustained water damage and was beyond repair.
                                                                                                          R. J. Brettell  

 

 

Website contact Graham Marshall  (Web Site - Digital Photography)
Copyright © 2011 All Saints' Church
Last modified: August 14, 2018